Pearl Abyss is optimistic for the future of 'Black Desert,' and we look forward to launching 'Black Desert Mobile' globally by the end of the year.” “With over 30% of gross sales for 'Black Desert' stemming from mobile platforms, which saw an initial release in Asia in the past year, we’re confident that sales are accelerating. “We’re proud of what this achievement represents – the hard work and dedication from our teams over the past four years and the support from a community of fans around the world,” said Pearl Abyss CEO Robin Jung.
The "Black Desert" franchise has made more than $1 billion in gross sales since it first launched four years ago, developer Pearl Abyss announced on Tuesday.
"Black Desert" launched on Xbox One and mobile platforms earlier this year. It's now available in over 150 countries with 18 million registered users, Pearl Abyss said.
The developer, which acquired "EVE Online" studio CCP Games in 2018, said it's also working on new MMO titles.” /> Pearl Abyss said it's focused on expanding the game's platforms and supported regions while continuing to offer updates to current players.
In 2018, it received a remastered edition that revamped its graphics and audio. Its most recent major content update added four new classes, a large-scale player vs. player mode, and a weekly event called Conquest Wars. The franchise began with the release of massively multiplayer online role-playing game "Black Desert Online" on PC in Korea in 2015. An open-world action MMORPG, it combined beautiful visuals with skill-based combat and an intricate character creation system.

In the episode, he and his co-creators, songwriter Eddie Perfect and co-book writer Anthony King, detailed the work they've done on the piece since its tryout run in Washington, D.C., in order to make the show's heart as strong as its humor. "The nice thing is that of all the taboos, death is still the biggest, and also the one that transcends politics most of all," said the show's co-book writer Scott Brown on the latest episode of "Stagecraft," Variety's theater podcast.
As "Beetlejuice" gears up for its Broadway opening, the new musical's creators have spent a lot of time adjusting the dial on the show's raucous, supernatural comedy, pinpointing just the right balance of edginess and emotion. But to hear them tell it, there's one thing that'll always be shocking.
The creators also reveal what other material inspired them, including early drafts of the screenplay and the 1990s animated series based on the film; explain how they went about making the show more broadly accessible; and fondly remember the cut song they wrote for a dead boy band.
"It’s a comedy, kind of a dark comedy," explained Perfect, also the composer of this season's "King Kong." "And we learned what audiences feel comfortable laughing at, what they feel uncomfortable laughing at, and what we feel comfortable making the audience uncomfortable about."
"D.C. was kind of like the midnight movie version of 'Beetlejuice,'" cracked Brown ("Castle Rock").
New episodes of “Stagecraft” are available every Tuesday. Download and subscribe to “Stagecraft” on iTunes, Stitcher, or anywhere finer podcasts are dispensed. Find past episodes here and on Apple Podcasts.” />
Listen to this week’s podcast below:
"The structure of the show is basically the same [as it was in D.C.]," added King, also a TV writer-producer ("Broad City," "Silicon Valley"). … "A lot of the emotional content that was in the show was buried at a level that the audience wasn’t aware it was there. We did an enormous amount of rewriting, and a lot of it was just unearthing that and bringing it to the surface more."

The new initiative will be headed by Ben Relles, who previously was head of unscripted for YouTube Originals, a position he held since June 2015. Relles has been named to the newly created role of head of innovation for YouTube Originals, continuing to report into Susanne Daniels, global head of original content.
"We now have amazing new tools and opportunities to create and tell multilayered and interactive stories," Daniels said in a statement. "Ben has an intuitive and experienced understanding of how the platform can enhance content making him the perfect choice to develop this exciting new division."
YouTube said it will soon announce a new head of unscripted to replace Relles.
YouTube denied the report, although the YouTube Originals group did recently cancel a few high-profile projects, including sci-fi series “Origin.” Meanwhile, a recent Bloomberg report said YouTube was exiting scripted comedies and dramas and that Susanne Daniels was looking to leave her post.
He joined YouTube in 2011, when the video giant acquired online-video player Next New Networks, where Relles had been VP of programming.” /> Before joining the YouTube Originals division in 2014, originally as head of comedy, Relles served as YouTube’s global head of creative strategy.
YouTube plans to take its original programming into a new dimension — with a new slate of content geared around interactive content and live specials.
That will include in some cases an exclusive window on its YouTube Premium service, which is priced at $9.99 per month in the U.S. Relles' new role comes amid YouTube's shift to a new programming strategy, which it calls “Single Slate,” to make all of its original programming available free to watch. The "Single Slate" move signaled a shift for YouTube Originals toward content with a wider appeal that can amass a big audience on the free, ad-supported side as well as SVOD.
As the head of unscripted for YouTube, Relles led development of series including “What the Fit?” from Kevin Hart, “Mind Field” from Michael Stevens, “The Jump” from Will Smith and “Katy Perry: Witness World Wide.” In addition, he oversaw documentaries including “This is Everything featuring Gigi Gorgeous” and “Ariana Grande: Dangerous Woman Diaries."
Now Netflix has doubled down on the format, with its next interactive original, "You vs. Wild" starring Bear Grylls, to premiere April 10. Meanwhile, there's been the buzzy rise of HQ Trivia, a live, interactive mobile game show, which has spawned copycats. Interactive content has been around for years, but the concept got a high-profile boost with the release of Netflix’s “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” last fall. Others developing interactive scripted projects include Walmart-backed Eko.
In the new role, Relles is tasked with overseeing a slate of interactive programming and live specials, designed to boost engagement with viewers and showcasing ways they can interact and participate with content. Relles' team also will focus on integrating interactive features across the full range of scripted and unscripted YouTube Originals.


The GoFundMe page, set up by Vanessa Gamet, says Guilbeaux is a “strong, black lesbian woman” who was thrown out of the house by her adoptive family at age 16 after coming out, and has been financially independent ever since. She started studying computer science at the University of Kansas, but was forced to drop out after accumulating too much debt. A GoFundMe campaign has raised more than $95,000 of its $100,000 goal.
Guilbeaux revealed on the GoFundMe page that the donations have allowed her to pay off all of her student loans. “I'm so excited and ready to continue my education with a fresh new star,” she wrote.
After appearing on “Queer Eye,” Guilbeaux has started performing in drag shows, according to her Instagram. She posted on Instagram about her experience on the show, “I learned how to love my natural curls, love my highly melanated skin, and all of what makes up who i am (a fierce gay kween™️).”” />
“Queer Eye” helped give contestant Jess Guilbeaux a makeover in Season 3, and now fans of the show have helped her return to college.
i’m dehydrated at this point,” followed by crying emojis. Guilbeaux said she has been in contact with Gamet and confirmed that the fundraiser is legitimate. i have no words. She tweeted, “This is so sweet.

Paul Greengrass is in talks to direct and re-unite with Hanks. The duo's most recent collaboration was "Captain Phillips."
Luke Davies ("Lion") wrote the screenplay for "The News of the World." Hanks and Gary Goetzman will produce the film through their Playtone banner with Gail Mutrux through Pretty Pictures. Gregory Goodman also produces.
The novel charts the unlikely friendship between Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd, an earlier precursor to today’s newscasters, and the 10-year-old girl he is tasked with bringing to her relatives.
Hanks most recently starred in "The Post" and is voicing Woody in "Toy Story 4." He's also starring as Fred Rogers in "It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," a biopic about the beloved children's television host.
Universal Pictures has picked up rights to the historical drama “The News of the World” with Tom Hanks attached to star.
Disney decided to retire the Fox 2000 label last month as part of its purchase of the 20th Century Fox film studio, opting to go ahead only with projects that were already in production. The project, based on the best-selling novel by Paulette Jiles set in the days following the Civil War, was previously in development at Fox 2000.
He most recently directed the Netflix drama "22 July." The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.” /> Greengrass has directed multiple movies for Universal including "Green Zone," "The Bourne Supremacy," "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Jason Bourne," and "United 93," for which he received an best director Oscar nomination.

Universal Pictures is getting in on the Valentine's Day spirit, releasing Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield's romantic drama "The Photograph" on Feb. 14, 2020.
Based on an original idea by Tim Story’s the Story Company, the production is from a current script by Camilla Blackett as well as Jana Savage, Brandon Broussard and Hudson Obayuwana, the writing team collectively known as Murder Ink (Netflix’s "Reality High"). Universal also announced it has dated Packer's "Praise This" for Sept. 25, 2020. The film is centered on a musical competition centered around the world of youth choirs.
The musical comedy will be produced by Packer under his Will Packer Productions banner and Story under The Story Company.” />
She recently finished production on the Paramount comedy “The Lovebirds,” which she also executive produced. Rae's upcoming Universal comedy “Little” opens this Friday. Stanfield recently starred in "Sorry to Bother You."
Stella Meghie will direct from her own script and Will Packer will produce for his eponymous production company.
Will Packer Productions’ James Lopez will produce, while Rae executive produces. Senior VP of production Sara Scott and creative executive Mika Pryce will oversee production for Universal. Meghie is also on board to exec produce. "The Photograph" centers on intertwining love stories in the past and present.

Jonathan Glickman, president of MGM's Motion Picture Group, announced the deal on Tuesday.
"We're thrilled to be working with Jon and all the folks over at MGM and look forward to a long successful partnership," Clooney and Heslov said.
The series stars Clooney, Christopher Abbott, and Kyle Chandler. Smokehouse's upcoming projects include Hulu's "Catch-22," based on Joseph Heller's seminal novel of the same name, debuting on May 17. Clooney and Heslov serve as executive producers on behalf of Smokehouse Pictures and directed two episodes each for the series.
The pic will be written by Keith Bunin, based on veteran journalist Alex Pappademas' Epic magazine article "Saint John." The first film under the new deal will center on motoring engineer and designer John DeLorean, with Clooney set to direct the movie with the possibility of playing DeLorean.
"Smokehouse has an undeniable pedigree, representing the high quality and entertaining slate of talent we look to work with as we expand the MGM slate." "We are thrilled to bring George, Grant, and their spectacular team into the MGM family," Glickman said.
They also produced best picture winner "Argo," along with "The Ides of March," "Suburbicon," "Money Monster," "Our Brand Is Crisis," "The Monuments Men," "August: Osage County," and "The American."” /> Smokehouse films include "Good Night, and Good Luck," for which Clooney was nominated for a best director Academy Award.
MGM has signed a two-year, first-look deal with George Clooney and Grant Heslov's Smokehouse Pictures.

Other inductees at this year's event include Dallas Austin, Missy Elliott, Tom T. Carole Bayer Sager will be receiving the Johnny Mercer Award and music publisher Martin Bandier is the Visionary Leadership Award recipient.” /> Hall, John Prine, Jack Tempchin & Yusuf / Cat Stevens.
Halsey will be the recipient of the Hal David Starlight Award at the 50th Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Dinner, slated for Thursday, June 13 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City.
While her first solo No. The 24-year-old singer (legal name: Ashley Frangipane) first broke onto the global stage in 2014 with her song “Ghost,” which she posted on SoundCloud and soon was signed to Capitol’s Astralwerks label. 1 single, “Without Me,” didn’t come until last year, she’s been the featured artist and cowriter on hits headlined by other artists, including the double-platinum “Eastside” (by Benny Blanco, also featuring Khalid) and “Him & I” (by G-Eazy) and especially the Chainsmokers’ 2016 global smash “Closer,” which topped the charts for several weeks and has been certified diamond (10x platinum). 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. She released her first album, “Badlands,” the following year and the follow-up, 2017’s “Hopeless Fountain Kingdom” (on which she wrote or cowrote every song) debuted at No.
She is more than worthy to join the roster of the young songwriters who have received the coveted Hal David Starlight Award." President & CEO Linda Moran added, "Halsey bares her soul with heart-wrenching, rebellious and complex lyrics that come from a place of creativity and strength where not many songwriters are comfortable going.
It was named in honor of SHOF Chairman Emeritus Hal David for his support of young songwriters. The award, created in 2004, recognizes “gifted young songwriters who are making a significant impact in the music industry via their original songs,” according to the Hall.
Previous honorees include Drake, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Sara Bareilles, Nick Jonas, Nate Ruess, Imagine Dragons' Dan Reynolds, John Legend, Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo, Drake, Benny Blanco, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Rob Thomas and John Rzeznik.
SHOF Chair Nile Rodgers commented, "I've watched Halsey grow over the last five years and every record seems to be better than the last one, so I'm delighted that she's being recognized in this much-deserved way."

“Our core principle was, ‘Do not change the gameplay,’” said Drifter co-founder Ray Davis. Drifter is handling the port for Epic and said it wants complete parity between the Rift and Quest versions, despite the Quest's lower specs.
When Epic Games' first-person shooter "Robo Recall" launches on Oculus Quest, it will have the same gameplay experience found on the bigger and more powerful Oculus Rift, developer Drifter Entertainment said in a blog post on Tuesday.
While Davis said everybody was skeptical early on that the team could successfully bring the shooter to the Quest, people came around once the game became playable on the platform until "more and more [they] were like, 'Wow, this is how the game was meant to be played."
It’s totally a viable, awesome experience — and it also speaks to our culture at Drifter. “Four months later, here we are. We’ve all had the past experience of really pushing forward on new platforms to see what can be done, so this is the perfect project for us.”” /> “When I told [Epic Games Technical Director] Nick Whiting we were taking on the project, he said, ‘You are insane,’” Davis said.
To achieve that parity, the team is focusing on technologies like Oculus' Multi-View, which renders objects in the Quest's left and right eye buffers simultaneously, reducing driver and app overhead. They're trying to squeeze as much out of the virtual reality headset's GPU as possible, but Davis admits "Robo Recall" will push the Quest "extremely hard." The game features a photorealistic art style with bloom effects and depth of field.
“We had to find ways to bring back the feel of those things while still hitting our performance targets,” Davis said.

 
and elsewhere. and Toronto. The company currently operates 11 such locations, with VR centers in Las Vegas, Santa Monica, Calif. The Void is one of a number of startups operating ticketed VR experiences in malls and movie theaters around the world. It has announced plans to launch additional locations in Hollywood, New York, Washington, D.C.
The Void is coming to San Francisco: The location-based VR startup is getting ready to open a new outpost in the Westfield San Francisco Centre mall on the city's busy Market street this summer, Variety has learned. There's no word on the exact launch date; The Void didn't immediately respond to Variety's request for comment.
The Void hasn't officially announced the planned San Francisco location yet, but its future outpost near the Westfield food court already features posters teasing a summer launch.
 ” />
The company has partnered with Disney and Lucasfilm's ILMxLab on a number of location-based VR experiences, including "Ralph Breaks VR" and "Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire." In addition, it has also produced some original content in-house, like its horror-themed "Nicodemus" experience. All three were featured in posters at its future SF location.