"Spiderman: Far From Home" is the 10th title to take in more than $40 million in its second weekend during July, according to Comscore. Disney's "The Lion King" is widely expected to jolt domestic business next weekend with a launch of as much as $150 million.” /> The North American box office is continuing to lag last year's pace with a total of $6.05 billion as of July 10, down 8.7%.
Directed by Michael Dowse from a script by Tripper Clancy, "Stuber" also stars Iko Uwais, Natalie Morales, Betty Gilpin, Jimmy Tatro, Mira Sorvino and Karen Gillan. The film centers on Kumail Nanjiani as an Uber driver who unwittingly becomes part of an arrest operation with Dave Bautista portraying an aggressive LAPD officer.
"Crawl" has generated surprisingly postive reviews for a critter pic, scoring an 89% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Alexandre Aja directed from a script by Michael and Shawn Rasmussen. It received a B Cinemascore from audiences.
"Toy Story 4" is showing impressive staying power with a 37% decline. The fourth installment in the 24-year-old animated comedy franchise will finish the frame with $347 million in its first 24 days in North America — placing it 51st on the all-time domestic grosser list behind "American Sniper." It's 2019's third highest performer behind "Avengers: Endgame" at $850 million at "Captain Marvel" at $426 million.
"Stuber" is performing in line with expectations, which had ranged from $7 million to $10 million at 3,050 locations. It's Disney's first R-rated title in six years since "The Fifth Estate." Fox began developing "Stuber" in 2016 and it  premiered in March at the SXSW Film Festival, shortly before Disney closed its acquisition of the Fox film assets.
"Spider-Man: Far From Home"has also generated $392 million internationally for a global tally of $635 million. The 23rd entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe should top the $44 million second weekend of 2017's "Spider-Man: Homecoming," which also starred Tom Holland as the teenage webslinger. Should Saturday estimates hold, "Spider-Man: Far From Home" will wind up the weekend with $275 million in domestic grosses in its first 13 days at 4,634 locations.
“Crawl” is performing slighty above expectations, which had been pegged for around $10 million in 3,170 venues. The R-rated horror film follows a father and daughter (played by Barry Pepper and Kaya Scodelario) who are forced to escape a relentless attack from a pack of alligators after a Category 5 hurricane hits their Florida town.
Disney's fourth weekend of "Toy Story 4" will finish a distant second with $21 million, followed by the openings of Paramount's alligator disaster movie "Crawl" with about $11 million and Fox's buddy comedy "Stuber" with about $8 million.
Sony's second weekend of "Spider-Man: Far From Home" is dominating North American moviegoing with around $45 million, taking in more than the combined totals of the next three titles — "Toy Story 4," "Crawl" and "Stuber."

Gunn is in the process of casting "Suicide Squad 2" with production expected to start this fall for a summer 2021 release date.” /> After he was fired from "Guardians," Gunn was poached by Marvel rival studio DC to direct the sequel to "Suicide Squad," on which he's currently hard at work.
The studio had fired Gunn last July when controversial tweets from nearly a decade ago resurfaced. The near-dozen tweets, which were said to be jokes, made light of pedophilia and rape. After a series of meetings, and with no replacement on board to direct the third "Guardians of the Galaxy," the studio made the decision to rehire Gunn last month.
3." Disney reinstated the director, who was fired from the Marvel franchise for offensive tweets, in mid-March. Zoe Saldana is thrilled to have James Gunn back on board for "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.
Last week at CinemaCon, "Guardians" star Dave Bautista told Variety he would not have done the third "Guardians" movie if Gunn had not be rehired. “I am contractually obligated, but I think that Marvel and Disney –– if I had really stood my ground and said, ‘I don’t want to do this without James’ –– I think that they are decent enough that they would’ve let me out of my contract,” Bautista said.
"I think the theme of redemption is a theme that we weren't ready to discuss in 2018 because it was important for women to also strive to make workplaces more ethical and more professional. "But leaving that space for redemption, for error, and then coming forward with so much humility and saying, 'We acted impulsively and we're going to rectify this,' Disney is a big entity and they make content for younger audiences. You're sending a strong message to kids, and that, I commend them for it." Not just for women but for men, as well," Saldana said.
Around the time he was fired, Saldana and her "Guardians" cast, including Chris Pratt, released a statement of support of Gunn on social media, asking Disney to reinstate the director.
The first two “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, released in 2014 and 2017, were box office hits for Disney and Marvel, making a combined $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office.
"I'm really excited, and I'm proud of Bob Iger and Alan Horn for stepping up and making a decision to reinstate James Gunn," Saldana told Variety on Sunday morning at the New York City premiere for her upcoming animated film "Missing Link," in which she's part of an A-list voice cast, including Hugh Jackman, Zach Galifianakis and Timothy Olyphant.
His statement read: “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.” At the time of his firing, Gunn released an apology, stating that his tweets were jokes that he regrets making.
She added, "And obviously, I'm happy to have my captain back on board because we were panicking. No other person can be like James Gunn for 'Guardians.'"
“We fully support James Gunn. "In that time, we’ve been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3 as well as discouraged by those so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories surrounding him.” We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss," the cast said in a statement last summer when Gunn was fired.

Last year, the actor, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the series, called the firing "nauseating" and tweeted "['Guardians of the Galaxy'] without James Gunn just isn’t ['Guardians of the Galaxy']."
"I am contractually obligated [to do the third movie], but I think that Marvel and Disney –– if I had really stood my ground and said, 'I don't want to do this without James' –– I think that they are decent enough that they would've let me out of my contract," Bautista told Variety's Marc Malkin at CinemaCon on Tuesday.
The release date for the third "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie has yet to be announced, but it is assumed it will land somewhere in the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe after "Avengers: Endgame" wraps up the current storyline. On March 15, Disney announced it had rehired Gunn for the film.
Moving forward without James was a real personal issue with me."” /> "I wanted to use James' script because it's a beautiful script. "I wanted to bring it home. These guys are like family to me and I wanted to be involved in the third one," Bautista said.
"Guardians of the Galaxy" star Dave Bautista, who staunchly supported director James Gunn after his firing last year, thinks Disney might have let him out of his contract if he protested against doing the third movie without him.
"I just spoke my mind and was honest about the way I felt about it. I thought he was given a raw deal. I thought it was a bad call, bad decision," he said.
Bautista was one of the strongest supporters of Gunn after Disney fired the director from "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. Along with the rest of the movie's main cast, Bautista signed a petition calling for Gunn's reinstatement, and he also threatened to quit the film if Disney didn't use Gunn's original script. 3" in July 2018 after offensive tweets from years ago resurfaced. Gunn was rehired for the project last month.