Shannon Doherty said that she had no intention of being a part of the new show until fellow cast mate Luke Perry passed away.
"To take back the power, spin it, and to tell the stories was really interesting for everyone involved." "We used people’s perceptions of ourselves as the launching point for our story telling," Jennie Garth said.
The new series features a blend of genres that Garth refers to as a "soapedy." According to Tori Spelling, that was not always the plan.
"[Nothing] against the show," she said. And when Luke passed away, things drastically changed for me and I felt like it was great opportunity to honor him." "I knew that the show would, you know, get sold and do well with or without me. But they didn’t need me, so it just wasn’t at that moment what I wanted to be doing.
” /> "BH90210" premieres tonight on Fox at 9 p.m. ET.
However, the cast noted that those playing their spouses and children on the show are not meant to be in any way representative of their real families for privacy reasons.
"But it was nice to partner with Fox and do a one-hour and to be able to try and set a tone that’s different than what’s out there.” "Originally the concept was for a half hour and we did think it would be more of a comedy," she said.
The new show, dubbed "BH90210," features a meta narrative with the cast playing heightened versions of themselves putting together a revival of the iconic '90s series.
Doherty went on to refer to the show as "a chance to heal" in the wake of Perry's death.
The cast of the "Beverly Hills 90210" revival took the stage at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Wednesday.

"If you miss the sexy element where’s the light at all," Delevingne aded. "It’s not objectifying at all, it’s beautiful and it's amazing."
Delevingne had previously told Variety that her character is "a pansexual faerie" and discussed some of the themes the series deals with.
During an interview at Comic-Con, Bloom said that the series "addresses a lot of what we are experiencing today but with the added component of a fantasy period."
Delevingne plays a member of the faerie population, many of whom turn to sex work to "support their families," according to Bloom. The actors touched on the sex in the show and how it relates to the subject of immigrants.
"We were able to staff up the second season without agents…but agents do a lot more than simply submit writing samples to showrunners…We can get by without agents for that, but that’s not to say we shouldn’t be getting back into a room and working out a deal." "I want to see the stalemate resolved, I want us to get back into the room to negotiate," Guggenheim began.
Later in the panel, the series' showrunner-executive producer Marc Guggenheim weighed in on the WGA-ATA stalemate and how it affected "Carnival Row."
Delevingne added that she believes "that fear is from the government," revealing that the show creates its own version of the British parliament and will feature fictionalized debate scenes on immigration.
It was announced at Amazon's Television Critics Association press tour that the show was renewed for a second season a full month ahead of its season 1 debut on August 30.” />
“It’s really talking about immigration and refugees and classism and sexism, racism and elitism,” Delevingne said.
Creator Travis Beacham discussed how he originally wrote the show as a feature script which appeared on the very first Blacklist in 2005. At that time, Guillermo del Toro was on board to co-write, direct and executive produce the project.
"We can explore these issues that are going on in the world today with a kind of empathy and objective quality that doesn’t feel like it’s banging you over the head,” Bloom said.
Vignette also harbors a secret that endangers Philo’s world during his most important case yet: a string of gruesome murders threatening the uneasy peace of the Row. This growing population struggles to coexist under the onerous laws of humanity. Vignette (Delevingne) and Philo (Bloom) rekindle a dangerous affair despite an increasingly intolerant society. The series is set in a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures whose exotic homelands were invaded by the empires of man.
Cara Delevingne and Orlando Bloom, the two leads of the upcoming Amazon fantasy series "Carnival Row," discussed the show's immigrant themes at Amazon's Television Critics Association press tour.
"It really looks at the fear that people have. I think there's so much fear in the world today about immigrants, migrants, how are they going to come into our society," Bloom said.
"It’s tragic and it's true and it happens in the world today," the actor said.

Finally, Anne Hathaway took to the stage to show a teaser from her forthcoming Amazon anthology series "Modern Love," in which she plays a woman with bipolar disorder. The series is inspired by the popular New York Times column of the same name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxFD9q9yJE&feature=youtu.be

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne were on hand to unveil the official teaser for their upcoming fantasy series "Carnival Row." The series is set in a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures whose exotic homelands were invaded by the empires of man, and the duo discussed the show's immigrant themes and sexual content.
In season 2, Ryan investigates a potentially suspicious shipment of illegal arms in the Venezuelan jungle. His discoveries threaten to uncover a far-reaching conspiracy which leads him on a global mission spanning the United States, the U.K. and Russia. The studio also dropped a teaser for the second season of "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan," which will see John Krasinski return as the titular CIA officer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJKshx401_w&feature=youtu.be” />

Amazon dropped a cluster of teasers during its Television Critics Association press tour, including a preview clip for the musical feature finale which will close out "Transparent."
Showrunner Jill Soloway said that turning the show's curtain call into a feature-length musical felt like a "chance to heal" after the fallout from the Jeffrey Tambor scandal.

Another tweeter mocked Loyola with a faux quote: "We are a Catholic school, please no profanity or offensiveness," followed by the "Y'all f— kids" soundbite from Buress' set.
Loyola confirmed in a statement to Variety on Monday that Buress' audio was indeed cut "because he violated the mutually agreed upon content restriction clause in his contract."
That’s just one joke people took and really ran with it."” /> At the Television Critics Association press tour in 2016, Buress commented on the attention he received from resurfacing the Cosby allegations, saying, "I was calling a bunch of other comedians rapists and that was the only one people took seriously …
While the university's administration may not have approved of Buress' joke, many Loyola Chicago students took to Twitter in support of the comedian, criticizing the school for apparently cutting him off.


Y'all f— kids, right?" According to Consequence of Sound, Buress followed up by saying, "B— a— old people, I can project …
Buress previously garnered media attention for addressing sexual assault in a standup routine from 2014, which commented on the allegations made by multiple women against Bill Cosby. Buress left the stage after the sound cut out for a 15-minute break before returning to deliver the remainder of his jokes, profanity- and scandal-free.
This is ridiculous. We want Hannibal," one user tweeted. "Loyola just cut Hannibal’s mic.
While performing at the Catholic university, the "Broad City" and "Spider-Man: Homecoming" actor projected an email from Loyola on stage, which prohibited him from addressing sexual assault or cursing on stage.
UPDATED: A mic-cut shortened Hannibal Buress' performance at Loyola University Chicago on Saturday night after the comedian cracked jokes about child molestation in the Catholic Church.


"Buress eventually returned to the stage and completed his set." "It is standard for the University to include a content restriction clause in entertainment contracts; Buress is the only entertainer to disregard the clause to the degree that his mic was cut," the statement added.

At a time when traditional media companies are increasingly focused on digital distribution, Paramount Network's top executives emphasized their brand's role as a cable channel in the traditional MVPD universe Monday at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour.
Kay also announced that "Heathers" will premiere March 7.” />
"We want people to watch live, live same day, DVR," Cox said.
"We want to make linear TV urgent again," Paramount Network president Kevin Kay said Monday in an executive session with the channel's development and programming president, Keith Cox. We want people to have conversations about it." Kay added that the weekly linear scheduling of programming will help Paramount drive conversation around its shows in a way that Netflix with its binge-release strategy cannot. "We want people to watch it.
Spike TV had been positioned as a male-skewing channel. Kay said that the new programming strategy for Paramount Network is designed to steer the channel toward more gender balance.
"We don’t want the Spike audience to go away, but we want to broaden the audience." "We’re trying to reach men and women 18-49," Kay said. "Spike was in its infancy very male, sometimes 70-80% male." He added that the network is striving for a male-female balance close to 50-50.
"It’s disheartening." "What Harvey did is disgusting," Kay said.
Kay did say that the Weinstein Company's credit will be restored when and if the company reemerges with a new name. "The Weinstein Company will not be credited until they reconstitute their company," he said, expressing optimism that TWC will recover from the turmoil in which it is currently ensnared.
Spike TV will undergo a relaunch Thursday, rebranding itself as Paramount Network. Corporate parent Viacom is positioning the channel as a general-entertainment destination specializing in scripted drama and comedy.
Paramount Network on Monday presented panels with the casts and creators of several of the new series it is looking to reinvent its brand with, including the miniseries "Waco," drama "Yellowstone," and comedies "American Woman" and "Heathers."
Kay also said that disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein, who executive produced "Yellowstone" and "Waco," will not be credited on either series — nor will The Weinstein Company's, which produced them.

"If 'Power' was on Sunday we'd be in a different situation," he said.
All that said, Albrecht predicted the sides will eventually come to a deal, even if communications between the companies are mostly through the media right now.
The industry is abuzz about the migration of traditional TV channels to direct-to-consumer streaming options. But Starz's carriage standoff with Altice USA demonstrates the limits at present of a standalone streaming option as an alternative to old-fashioned MVPD distribution.
"It's not that binary right now," Albrecht said Friday during Starz's portion of the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, Calif. Subscribers to the OTT service need a good broadband connection and most likely a means of directing the online stream to a TV set.
"One of the strengths of the MVPD bundle is that it's still serving people that want (traditional TV viewing)." "There certainly are people who are not as savvy as being able to go and get another box to connect to their television so they can watch their Starz subscription," Albrecht said.
Albrecht was pressed about plans for the second season of its elaborate fantasy series "American Gods." Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green have left the project — sort of — after a clash with producer FremantleMedia North America on the budget needed to deliver Season 2. Fuller and Green "were not fired, nor did they quit," Albrecht said.
Neil Gaiman, author of the novel of the same name, is taking on more of the "traditional showrunner role" although he will be paired with a seasoned TV producer. "Brian and Michael will be involved as much as they can be. It's a little bit up in the air what their exact role will be," he said.
Starz already is a premium service that requires subscribers to pay an additional monthly fee beyond basic MVPD service. Altice's reasoning is that if customers want Starz, they can easily access to the content via the standalone app.
1 as the two sides failed to come to terms on a new contract agreement. Altice has pointed to the fact that Starz has a standalone streaming option as a reason why it is balking at paying higher carriage fees in a new deal. The 17 Starz-Encore channels went dark on Altice USA systems as of Jan.
Starz and producer Sony Pictures TV "are having very productive discussions about the future of the show."” /> "I wouldn't worry too much about that — there's 10 books and the show's doing well," he said.
"They paid a lot of money for the systems they bought. They've been having a lot of difficult programming discussions. "This is a company that's been beaten up," he said. I'm sure the (Altice) board isn't happy with the management."
Fantasy drama "Outlander" logged its most-watched season to date last year with its fourth season. There's been no official word on a renewal for Season 5 but Albrecht said there was no doubt it will return.
"It’s a big show, it's a monster show. It's faced many of the the challenges that terrific, complex premium shows face in trying to get successive seasons, especially when art comes before commerce," Albrecht said.
Both sides are financially incentivized to make things work. It's becoming increasingly a case of MVPDs wanting to pay less but still be able to charge their customers more. Obviously that doesn't work for us." "These negotiations are always difficult. "This thing is far from over," he said.
Starz also wants the stability of contractual carriage fee commitments rather than the less-predictable income from standalone subscribers. Starz CEO Chris Albrecht acknowledged to reporters on Friday that steering customers to the streaming app isn't a panacea for lost distribution in big markets including Long Island and Connecticut. Altice USA has about 4.9 million subscribers in 21 states.
He also suggested that the company was struggling under the weight of its acquisition of the former Cablevision systems in 2016. Albrecht blasted Altice for its failure to offer rebates to customers who have already paid the monthly fee for Starz.
He said Starz is carried in 43% of African-American homes that have some form of multichannel service. "Power" won't be back with new episodes until later this year. Albrecht predicted that Altice will eventually face pressure from subscribers in the New York area who are missing shows. Albrecht talked up Starz's success in reaching multicultural audiences with shows such as drama "Power," which he said ranks as the top-rated pay TV series in African-American homes.